Don't Worry. Be Happy.
B = BREAKS : PART 2
Good morning! I hope you had a good Wednesday. I sure did. I took a well-needed break from a day at home and treated myself to a little shopping spree at an area mall in honor of my birthday that is actually today. Yep, I made the day all about me.
This leads nicely into this morning's post: the bigger picture.
While taking breaks throughout the day and asking for assistance are HUGE, giving yourself a break from worry is paramount to your mental and emotional health. Dr. Kaplin reminds us that "these are not normal circumstances and you should not expect yourself to always behave normally." True that! We MS Warriors are anything but normal.
We are special. We are superheroes! Do us both a favor and tell yourself that.
Say it, say it, say it!
I am a Super Hero!
Affirmations are good for the soul and if we do not remind ourselves of personal worth, no one else will. You are a superhero and you have superpowers. The MonSter fears our powers.
Don't back down.
- Act on what you need rather than what you want. ...
- Practice good self-care. ...
- Set boundaries. ...
- Protect yourself. ...
- Forgive yourself. ...
- Live intentionally.
Worry is a common human trait of which we ALL are guilty. But did you know these not-so-fun facts?
- Consistent worry can cause irritable bowel syndrome which can lead to ulcers.
- Muscle tension and headaches are direct symptoms of worry.
- Insomnia is a result of worry.
- Depression and isolation are serious maladies associated with worry. (See day 1)
- Worry (stress) can actually cause excess abdominal belly fat.
- Even the Bible repeats the phrase "Fear not" 365 times.
So, what do we do about this?
- Exercise daily.
- Avoid foods high in trans fat
- Do not drink alcohol in excess
- Eat a diet high in protein
- Avoid sugary foods and drinks
- Chamomile and/or tea has a natural calming effect
There are no magic potions to rid us of worry, but being proactive can't hurt. Right?
Have a worry-free day,
Lisa, Lady with the Cane